Wednesday, April 18, 2012

EXO - Mama

Omg. I love EXO so much right now! 
(prepare for a looong post!)

Where do I even start? Mama is a great song, I love it so much. It reminds me of DBSKs old songs like O, Triangle and Rising Sun, and of course of Super Juniors Don't Don. It's a song-style that I've kind of missed from SM Entertainment and I'm really glad they brought it back for EXO. I also lovelovelove the album as a whole! Every song is so unique and my only complaint is that it's only a mini-album and not a full-length one. My favoritesongs are definitely Two Moons and Angel/Into your world for different  but obvious reasons. And about choosing just one group; I find it impossible. There are some songs I prefer in a specific language, but as albums, there really isn't one I prefer over the other.



About Exo-m:
I am quite honestly slightly disappointed in the lack of live-performances from Exo-m. I want to see them perform live, because although I'm convinced they're good live-performers (I trust that SM didn't debut a band that wasn't) I bet a lot of people are still doubting them just because they haven't really had the chance to prove themselves yet.
And ok, about the interviews... Oh god how do I say this? They are adorable. And awkward as hell. I have never seen such awkward interviews in my life! And I'm so surprised because this is a SM-band we're talking about. SM-bands are like the most professional groups ever, with the exception of Exo-m apparently. If you have no idea what I'm talking about I'll just link some of their interviews:
Tudou Interview
Youku Celebrity Interview
Sina Live Chat
Don't get me wrong, I love their interviews, and I think they're incredibly cute when they're so nervous, but I just expected them to be so much more prepared for this. Kris does an amazing job though, I get why they chose him as the leader. Lay is adorable but he looks like he's either concentrating really hard or just constantly spacing out, I can't decide which one. Luhan is a cutie but he seems so nervous, Xiumin obviously doesn't understand whats going on but at least he's always smiling and looks really friendly. Tao changes between being the cutest human being on earth and being the scariest, most fierce badass ever. And then there's Chen who honestly just looks like he wants to sink through the floor (although I think he got better. He looks a bit more comfortable for every interview.)
I think they're really cute when they're nervous, and I've had a few laughs when it's gotten really awkward, but I hope they get better so we can all look back at this and say "look how awkward they were when they debuted." They need to get better, both for our sake and for themselves. They need to get more comfortable.


About Exo-k:
Let's admit it, we all had sky-high expectations on Exo-k:s first live-performance. It was playback. I'm not blaming anyone but I just think it's kind of lame to debut by lip-syncing. But they sang live both on Music Bank and Music Core, and I want you all to remember that I am a fan, and I love them, but I'm going to say what I honestly feel now.
The performance on Music Bank wasn't good. Especially History, that whole song was just a huge mess. Mama went a little bit better but I think we all knew that this just wasn't good enough. Music Core went better, it was good. Not perfect, but a good enough performance to make me say "I knew they could do it!" It could have been better, but I'm not worried because I'm sure it will be. When they get rid of the nervousness, when they're free of injuries and when they get used to the stage I'm sure their performances will get better.
Their performance on Music Core:


I think we sometimes forget that Exo is still a rookie-group. SM hyped them sooo much that we all expected them to be better that all other rookies, but the truth is they're not. They're not bad, but they're still on the "rookie-level." D.O was obviously nervous as hell on Music Bank, but think about it. Would SM ever give him so many lines if they didn't think he could do it live? He was given all his lines because he can do it, and we need to give him time to show us that. Give them a few years and I'm sure they will be a hundred times better than they are today.
I'd like to highlight a few good things too though. The dance is one of the most complicated dances I've ever seen, and they're managing it amazing in every performance. Also, they're harmonizing. Live. You don't see that very often, especially not in uptempo-songs by rookie-groups, and that made me really impressed. Also, Kai obviously deserved all the attention he got in the teasers. He's so talented and professional!


To summarize: I love all of Exo, and I believe they will be really good eventually. I can't choose a bias because they're all so loveable. They're album is the best debut-album I've ever heard.

(Also, I hate when people compare B.A.P and Exo, but I think these two groups will be the ones competing for all the rookie-awards at the end of the year.)



No comments:

Post a Comment