Saturday, August 27, 2011

What is a "good" fan?

What is a good fan? I don't think there is any correct answer to this. Who decides what a "good" fan is? All I know is what kind of fan I want to be.

1. I want to support my favouritebands without bashing others.
Just be supportive. You don't have to tell the world that you dislike someone, just be quiet if you have nothing nice to say. You do not feel better after upsetting other fandoms and starting fanwars. It's just ridiculous, and I always feel ashamed when I see fans of the same bands as me bashing others for no reason.

2. I don't want to judge my idols.
They should always feel encouraged by their fans, not suffocated or limited. They should be able to be themselves, as far as they want to be. When my idols are happy, I feel happy.

This is a very common scenario that happens every time a kpop-video makes it to the front-page of Youtube:
Hater: These guys are gay just like all other asians!
Fan: NOOOO!!! MY IDOLS ARE NOT GAY!!! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S GAY! AMERICANS ARE STUPID!

In this case, both the fan and the hater makes me ashamed to be human. Let's face it, both these comments are both racist and homophobic, and both comments are more hurting than encouraging. Super Junior are all in all 15 guys, and there's a huge possibility that one (or more) of them are gay. SNSD are 9 girls, why shouldn't one of them be a lesbian? Everyone isn't straight, and I wish all homophobic fans would just understand that!


Now this is what I mean by supporting and encouraging! Cassiopeia is beautiful!

3. I don't want to be a stalker. Idols should have the right to a private life. I see it like this: Yes, they indeed chose a life in the spotlight. They chose that as their job. But they are not always working, are they? When they are at public events, fans can take pictures and ask for autographs and scream and jump and be exited, and be everything that fans are. But when our idols leave work, we should leave them alone. When they're done for the day, they should have the right to a private life just like all other people have.
Now I get it if you see you idol walking down the street in your hometown, and you stop and ask for an autograph. That's normal behaviour. But to follow your idol around, and wait outside their house, that's not normal. That's not something anyone should have to deal with. Let them have a private life. Let them date whoever they want to date. Stalker fans do not encourage, they suffocate.


The other day I saw a Youtube-comment on the video for Ugly - 2NE1, that went something like this:
"2NE1 are sooo pretty, they shouldn't sing this song! Lady Gaga should sing it since she's so ugly!"
Honestly, what gives you the right to say Lady Gaga is ugly? She's beautiful as she is, just like 2NE1 are. I like both Lady Gaga and 2NE1, and I felt so offended by that comment. Bashing is so unnecessary!

Fans of every band, group or solo-artist should be nice and respectful to all. Of course, just people in general should be nice and respectful I suppose. Just care for the people you like. (And honestly, it wouldn't hurt to care just a little bit for those you don't like as well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment